Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Manga: Mushishi and Adolf

It was interesting because I started reading Mushishi and then stopped about two pages in and found myself watching the anime a few days later. After enjoying the first three episodes of the anime I went back to read the manga and was overjoyed by how well the anime stuck to the source material of the manga. I ended up reading the first 5 chapters or so of the manga. The art style got a little frustrating at times mainly due to very odd looking feet. The story felt like a really traditional japanese myth sort of thing and that made it sort of serene yet intoxicating. Also the episodic feel of each chapter was really interesting and became more so when events from previous chapters culminated in a later one.

Adolf was something rather different. After reading the synopsis I was very curious to how the story would go about. I only read about a volume and a half I believe and when struck me immediately was that this manga was actually flipped to read left to right for translation which seemed very odd to me. I found Adolf to be very entrancing and quite tense at times. It was a view on the time of the holocaust that isn't often seen which is that of those living in Japan during the earlier days of the War. Tezuka's style was quite apparent and actually made the story more interesting. While some character looked fairly tame there were the few who had the very exaggerated features which lent to their personalities greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment