Tuesday, December 6, 2011

American Born Chinese

This comic really surprised me. The art style's simplicity intrigued me from the get go and I was a little confused about what I was reading when I first started. It became apparent that this was one of those "you'll get it at the end" kind of stories about half way through. Overall I enjoyed this story greatly. Learning that all the stories had a connection at the end was really fun and the idea that the main character actually took on the appearance of Danny in his mind was quite surprising. Stories with twists such as that always get me for some reason and this was no exception. I was thoroughly pleased with American Born Chinese. The three parallel stories made the book infinitely more interesting than it would have been if the timeline was linear. The little artistic quirks such as the jolt of confidence represented as the lightning cloud hair was quite humorous and clever. I also enjoyed how simple this read was while at the same time being highly complex and intricate. I can really appreciate stories like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment