Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dr. McNinja, Axe Cop, and so many more

I was really excited for the class about webcomics. Most of my favorites bar in my web browser is webcomics and I wrote a research paper on the realities of making a living through webcomics last year. I picked up webcomics quite a few years ago with some simple easy to follow things such as Cyanide and Happiness and VGCats. I didn't necessarily read them every time they updated and wasn't 100% into them all the time, but it was enjoyable and Cyanide and Happiness especially gave me something to look forward to each day with their daily updates. It wasn't until about 2 years ago or so that I really started branching out. VGCats (of which I don't follow anymore) had their featured comic as MS Paint Adventures and it looked very interesting. It ended up being a long read to catch up, but the current story at the time Problem Sleuth was way worth it. The site ran as a pseudo-game when reader based suggestions for actions led the characters along. When that site launched merchandise it was released on a site called Topatoco, a hub for web comic creators to host the merchandise for their comics. Through that site I found a fun comic entitled Dr. McNinja. I've been following Dr. McNinja ever since I've found it and have read every story up to the present with the exception of the few print-only stories. Dr. McNinja runs in the form of adding a new page to the existing story with each update. When a story is complete it reads like any other comic you would find at a bookstore or comic shop. After a few stories are completed they would be compiled into books. Recently Dr. McNinja has been picked up by Dark Horse and the most recent book was published by them. Dark Horse also picked up another similar comic, Axe Cop. Axe Cop is by far the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while mainly due to how the comic is made. The artist of Axe Cop has his 5 year-old brother write Axe Cop and thus the craziness that only a small child can think of becomes a very well drawn comic that packs many a laugh.

I think I've gone on for a little too long with this, but I absolutely adore webcomics. Others I have read include: Pictures for Sad Children (apparently on a hiatus), Bearmageddon (a comic written and drawn by the artist of Axe Cop), Romantically Apocalyptic (which uses photography and photoshop to create the artwork), Brawl in the Family (a comic based solely on Nintendo characters with Kirby being the primary series used), and Allan Comic (an autobiographical comic which chronicles an important event of the day in the form of a four panel comic). Webcomics allow for so many different subjects and are extremely accessible making them quite a joy and a great source of entertainment in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment